2012-2013 Budget Information
April 19, 2012
Dear Bedford Central Community:
At the April 18 Board Meeting, I began a presentation with pictures of several Fox Lane graduates, two middle school students recording science observations under a tree, Fox Lane students with several senior citizens at their “Senior Prom,” and a classroom of Bedford Hills students on a field trip at West Point! I could have started that presentation with hundreds of pictures of our students and all that they learn and accomplish.
The presentation? The budget! I wanted to begin illustrating that the school budget is a means to an end and that the “ends” are all that we do with and for our students, every single one, every day!
The 2012-2013 school district budget is no different than the past. It protects the core of our schools and program. It is a prudent budget. And, it is below the allowable “tax levy cap limit.” There are significant cuts, but we will do all we can to insulate the heart of our work.
Over the past three years, the Board of Education has developed a trend (if three of anything is a trend)! The changes to the tax levy over the past three years have been: -1.61%, 0.73%, and 1.80%. As we have stated: You spoke, we listened. The direction? Prepare leaner budgets and do all we can to preserve that which makes Bedford Central schools, Bedford Central schools! The 2012-2013 tax levy continues the trend with a 2.69% increase.
As you know, the tax rates vary from town to town and year to year. The four-year average of these tax rates range from -0.12% in Pound Ridge, to 0.20% in New Castle, 0.63% in North Castle, 1.53% in Bedford and 2.81% in Mount Kisco.
On May 15, you will have the opportunity to vote on the school budget and on three Board seats! For information about the budget, click on presentations on our website http://www.bcsdny.org/district.cfm?subpage=7931 and attend one of several upcoming community meetings (see dates and locations below).
Sincerely, Jere Hochman
In this eNews: • District News
• Mothers of Bedford
• Claims Auditor Needed
• School Budget Meeting Schedule
• Board of Education
• Beatlemania: We are helping to spread the word about this event on behalf of CEF/FOMA. The Cast of Beatlemania will perform at the Mary Lou Meese Theater on April 28 2012 at 7:30 pm. Some of the original members of the Broadway cast will be performing. The event shall benefit the arts and music, and enrichment programs in Bedford Central. For ticket information please go to: www.foxlanebeatlemania.com
• “Mothers of Bedford”: You are invited to the screening of the documentary “Mothers of Bedford” on Wednesday, April 25th at 7 pm in the Mary Lou Meese Theater. The documentary looks at the Children’s Center inside the prison and the relationship of the incarcerated women with their children. Reservations are suggested by email to email@example.com.
• Claims Auditor: The School District is seeking proposals from Qualified, Claims Auditors and we invite proposals from qualified individual or firms to perform the claims auditing function. The Claims Auditor will need to have a thorough understanding and knowledge of school district finances and an expertise with purchasing policies, and will be need to ensure that all expenditure vouchers are properly itemized, documented and in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, and district policy before payments are made.
• School Budget Informational Meetings: The 2012-2013 school district budget– What’s in and What’s out? What does the tax levy cap mean? How will the cuts affect the students and the quality of education? What is the school district doing to plan for future budgets? Please attend one of the informational meetings listed below to learn about the facts from Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Jere Hochman, and Assistant Superintendent Mark Betz.
April 24, 2012 @ 7 pm West Patent Elementary School
April 25, 2012 @ 1pm Bedford Public Library
May 1, 2012 @ 7 pm Bedford Hills Elementary School
May 2, 2012 @ 8 pm Board of Education Meeting FLMS
May 3, 2012 @ 9:30 am Bedford Village Elementary School
May 8, 2012 @ 7 pm Mount Kisco Elementary School
May 10, 2012 @ 7 pm Pound Ridge Public Library
Attend the meeting that is most convenient for you!!!
BOARD OF EDUCATION NEWS:
Upcoming Meeting Discussion/Presentation Items:
May 2, 2012: Tenure Awards; School Budget Hearing