The Bedford Central School District Board of Education has created an Advocacy Advisory Committee to support the Board in assessing the impact of existing and proposed legislation on our district and effectively communicating BCSD’s needs to local, state and federal representatives. The Advocacy Advisory Committee will be comprised of members of our community, student representatives, and representatives from the BCSD Board of Education and administration. The Advocacy Advisory Committee will primarily support the Board’s Communications Subcommittee, although the Communications Subcommittee may refer issues to other subcommittees as appropriate.The Advocacy Advisory Committee is charged by the Board to analyze and report on a wide range of advocacy issues related to the district, including but not limited to:
- Researching and understanding current and pending local, state and federal legislation that impacts schools, and recommending position statements or other action steps as appropriate.
- Researching and understanding existing sources of state and federal aid, as well as related aid formulas, and recommending action steps for effective advocacy regarding efforts to make state and federal funding more equitable for our district.
- Recommending ways to strengthen our relationships with local town leaders and maximizing the utilization of shared assets and services, along with other cost saving tools.
- Recommending ways to better educate our broader community about issues related to BCSD and creating accessible means for community members to participate in organized advocacy efforts.
- Researching and recommending available grants and potentially assisting with preparing grant applications.
- We invite individuals from our community to apply to serve on the Advocacy Advisory Committee. The Board is seeking to have community representatives from all levels of the district (i.e. elementary, middle and high school levels) and across all schools so as to have inclusive representation.
The Board expects that meetings will be held monthly dates TBD from 7pm-9pm in the Central Office Conference Room.