The Bedford Central community prides itself on consistently high expectations and sound investments in its schools. We are at a critical point in the district’s future, requiring the development of a BCSD Bond Capital Facilities Plan. In short, BCSD schools and grounds need updates and improvements. Due to budget constraints for the past several years, priorities have included preserving assets, repurposing spaces, repairing damaged structures, and completing minor renovations where possible. Many buildings have served students well for more than 70 years and now require basic updates and renovations for academic success. The aging of some facilities and systems combined with evolving programmatic needs require investment for BCSD schools to continue to deliver the quality and breadth of learning experiences its students need and the community expects.
The Bedford Central School District Board of Education’s Charge to the Bond Project Advisory Committee for the BCSD Bond Capital Facilities Plan:
- As organized by the district leadership, the Bond Project Advisory Committee shall visit all BCSD schools and grounds to review the architectural recommendations for updates, renovations, and other improvements in the drafted BCSD Bond program.
- Become familiar with the financial projections for the decline in debt service in 2023 and the reports and recommendations by the district's financial advisors regarding long-term debt service and best practices given the tax cap era.
- Understand the BCSD administration's building and grounds proactive maintenance program.
- By August 1, 2021 (or another date the BOE decides) come to a consensus on recommendations for consideration by the Board of Education. The resulting final committee report and/or presentation shall articulate the following:
- Provide feedback on the drafted BCSD Bond Capital Facilities Plan.
- Consider and recommend if more renderings, materials, and supporting documents are required to further augment the community's understanding of the BCSD Bond Capital Facilities Plan.
- In additoinal to open community forums about the Bond program in the early fall of 2021, consider and recommend other communications forums to support the BCSD Bond Capital Facilities Plan.
- Provide feedback to the Board of Education on:
- the timeline of the public vote
- whether there should be one or more propositions for the BCSD Bond Capital Facilities Plan and recommend if a given set of projects should be allocated from the operating budget over one or more years
- Together with the district's architectural firm, financial advisors, Board and administration assist in providing feedback on FAQs and communications materials (such as social media, press releases, pages on the District web page and other community communications) to inform our voting community about the BCSD Bond Capital Facilities Plan.
- Provide meeting minutes and progress reports to the Board of Education and the community at regular intervals.
- The Bond Project Advisory Committee will have a Steering Committee consisting of no more than three Board of Education trustees, the Superintendent, the Assistant Superintendent of Business and Administrative Services, and the Director of Facilities. In conjunction with the district architects, the Steering Committee is responsible for ensuring that the Bond Committee’s work efforts and timeline of work are in alignment with this charge.