2018-2019 School Year
(All subcommittee meetings are held in the Central Office Building unless noted otherwise.)
For the schedule of meetings, please check the district calendar on the home page of the website.
Communications and School Life Subcommittee - Michelle Brooks, Bill Canavan, Pam Harney (chairperson). In order to best serve every child in the Bedford Central School District, the Board of Education’s Communications and School Life Subcommittee works cooperatively with the Superintendent of Schools to recommend policies that build awareness, confidence, and support for District programs and efforts through strong community connections and solid two-way communications between and amongst all school community stakeholders. The Subcommittee considers the effectiveness of school/District communications efforts.
School climate includes the quality and character of school life. Continuously nurture a positive school climate in our District schools by reviewing existing policies and outcomes, and making fiscal and/or policy recommendations to the Board of Education on matters pertaining to student life in and out of the classroom. The committee will consider:
- Policies related to the physical, emotional, and social health and well-being of students to improve student climate and life.
- Policies that foster and support a welcoming and inclusive school community and school climate.
- Policies related to co and extra-curricular experiences, school student governance, transition programs, and other issues, programs, and services impacting climate in the District’s schools.
2018-2019 Meeting Schedule: All Meetings will begin at 8 am and will be held in the Superintendent's Conference Room in the Administration Building on Fox Lane Campus on the following dates: September 7, 2018; October 5, 2018; November 2, 2018; December 7, 2018; January 4, 2019; February 8, 2019, March 8, 2019; April 12, 2019; May 10, 2019; June 14, 2019
Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Subcommittee
- Edward Reder (Chairperson), Pam Harney, Beth Staropoli. The Board of Education is dedicated to encouraging each child to exert his/her best efforts toward his/her fullest achievement and to strive toward a higher education, whether it be vocational or academic. To this end, the educational program will provide each child with the fundamental academic skills and basic knowledge required for his/her maximum educational development, and the opportunity for each child to develop his/her interests and abilities to the fullest extent according to his/her individual potential. The Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Subcommittee consists of three Board members, chaired by one member. Working cooperatively with the Superintendent or designee, the subcommittee meets regularly to ensure the aforementioned educational philosophy is evident throughout the district’s programs and practices. The subcommittee reports to the Board on its discussions and recommendations for action. Specifically, the subcommittee will consider issues related to curriculum, instruction, assessment, and student achievement. Such topics may include:
- Learning: guiding principles of learning and student achievement;
- Testing and Assessment: standardized testing; types and frequency of local tests and assessments; use of external tests as benchmarks of local student, school and district achievement; emphasis of assessment and testing with respect to time devoted to tested and non-tested content; test preparation;
- Curriculum: guiding principles of curriculum and development of such, consideration of the depth and breadth of the Bedford Central curriculum, taking into consideration required standards and assessments;
- Achievement and Engagement: experiences and data to benchmark student achievement and academic engagement;
- Communicating Success: benchmarking and communicating success with emphasis placed on rankings by national, state, and local publications; means of measuring and communicating student progress, growth, and point-in-time achievement; and means of communicating student(s) learning;
- Mandates and Policy: understanding federal and state policies and reforms; The Board subcommittee will receive and consider input from the District Student Achievement advisory committee.
2018-2019 Meeting Schedule: All Meetings will begin at 8:30 am and will be held in Dr. Adelberg's Office in the Administration Building on Fox Lane Campus on the following dates: October 2, 2018; November 6, 2018; December 4, 2018; January 8, 2019; February 5, 2019; March 5, 2019; April 9, 2019.
Michelle Brooks, Colette Dow, Bill Canavan (Chairperson). The Board of Education recognizes that sound planning based on accurate information is essential to the provision of suitable educational facilities. Working cooperatively with the Superintendent or designee, the subcommittee meets regularly to monitor building conditions and facility maintenance, progress of capital projects, to review strategies for the best use of district facilities and monitor the building overall program. The Board subcommittee will receive and consider input from the District Budget advisory committee, and the Space and Enrollment Advisory Committee.
2018-2019 Meeting Schedule: All Meetings will begin at 7:30 am and will be held in the Main Conference Room in the Administration Building on Fox Lane Campus on the following dates: September 28, 2018; October 26, 2018; November 30, 2018; December 14, 2018; January 25, 2019; March 1, 2019; March 29, 2019; May 3, 2019; May 31, 2019
Finance Subcommittee - Michael Bauscher, Colette Dow (Chairperson), Beth Staropoli. The mission of the Finance Committee is to enhance public confidence in the District’s ability to effectively handle its financial affairs by communicating the results of its work to the School Board, and by educating the public regarding the financial position and outlook for the District. The Board of Education Finance Subcommittee consists of three Board members, chaired by one member. Working cooperatively with the Superintendent or designee, the subcommittee meets regularly to provide oversight of the District’s financial interests and operations. The Finance Committee reviews and makes recommendations to the Board regarding the existing and projected revenues and expenditures, and suggests measures to overcome potential budget constraints and improve the fiscal health of the District. Such recommendations are made to ensure the District is maximizing its revenues, is using its resources optimally, and is able to sustain effective operations on a long-term basis. The Board subcommittee will receive and consider input from the District Budget advisory committee and the Space and Enrollment Advisory Committee
2018-2019 Meeting Schedule: All Meetings will be held in the Main Conference Room in the Administration Building on Fox Lane Campus on the following dates: August 28, 2018; October 4, 2018; November 1, 2018 @ 7:30 am; January 24, 2019@ 8:00 am; February 7, 2019@ 7:30 am; February 28, 2019@ 7:30 am; March 14, 2019@ 8:00 am; March 28, 2019@ 8:00 am; April 11, 2019@ 7:30 am; May 2, 2019@ 8:00 am; June 6, 2019@ 8:00 am.
Policy Subcommittee - Michael Bauscher, Bill Canavan, Pam Harney (Chairperson). In order to help it function more effectively and efficiently, the Board of Education of the Bedford Central School District has created a Policy Subcommittee. The Policy Subcommittee consists of three Board members, chaired by one member. Working cooperatively with the Superintendent, the subcommittee meets regularly to review, evaluate, revise and create district policy and regulation. When the need for a new or revised policy is recognized, the subcommittee meets with appropriate District staff and/or external resources to develop a draft policy or to revise an existing policy. Proposed policies are presented to the Board for discussion and action. Two readings of a policy at two separate Board meetings are required before approval, with ample time for comment. Proposed policies may be adopted by the Board of Education, as initially proposed or amended, or rejected.
2018-2019 Meeting Schedule: All meetings will begin at 8 am and will be held in Dr. Manno's Conference Room in the Administration Building on the Fox Lane Campus on the following dates (the first Tuesday of the month except in January): October 2, 2018; November 6, 2018, December 4, 2018; January 8, 2019, February 5, 2019, March 5, 2019, April 2, 2019, May 7, 2019, June 4, 2019.
BOCES Liaison: Michael Bauscher
Budget Advisory Committee Liaison: Colette Dow
Health Committee Liaison: Beth Staropoli
Parent Presidents Liaison/SEPTO Liaison: All Board members on a rotational schedule
Safety Committee Liaison: Bill Canavan
Space and Enrollment Committee Liaisons: TBD
Student Achievement Advisory Committee Liaison: C.I.A. subcommittee members on a rotational schedule
Technology Committee Liaison: Bill Canavan/Ed Reder
Tingley Committee Liaison: Ed Reder
WPSBA Delegate and Legislative Contact: Ed Reder