2020-2021 School Year
(All subcommittee meetings are held in the Central Office Building unless noted otherwise.)
For the schedule of meetings, please check the district calendar on the home page of the website.
Click here to go to Board Docs. You will be redirected to BoardDocs. Pleaes then click on "view agenda".
Communications Subcommittee - Michael Bauscher, Jessica Cambareri, Alexandra White. The Board of Education believes clear and consistent communication with community stakeholders is important. The Communications Committee is responsible for preparing and presenting to the Board of Education communications on its behalf.Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Subcommittee - Jessica Cambareri, Edward Reder, Alexandra White. The Board of Education is dedicated to encouraging each child to exert their best efforts toward their fullest achievement and to strive toward a higher education, whether it be vocational or academic. To this end, the educational program will provide each child with the fundamental academic skills and basic knowledge required for their maximum educational development, and the opportunity for each child to develop their interests and abilities to the fullest extent according to their individual potential. The Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment Subcommittee consists of three Board members, chaired by one member. Working cooperatively with the Superintendent or designee, the subcommittee meets regularly to ensure the aforementioned educational philosophy is evident throughout the district’s programs and practices. The subcommittee reports to the Board on its discussions and recommendations for action. Specifically, the subcommittee will consider issues related to curriculum, instruction, assessment, and student achievement. Such topics may include:
- Learning: guiding principles of learning and student achievement;
- Testing and Assessment: standardized testing; types and frequency of local tests and assessments; use of external tests as benchmarks of local student, school and district achievement; emphasis of assessment and testing with respect to time devoted to tested and non-tested content; test preparation;
- Curriculum: guiding principles of curriculum and development of such, consideration of the depth and breadth of the Bedford Central curriculum, taking into consideration required standards and assessments;
- Achievement and Engagement: experiences and data to benchmark student achievement and academic engagement;
- Communicating Success: benchmarking and communicating success with emphasis placed on rankings by national, state, and local publications; means of measuring and communicating student progress, growth, and point-in-time achievement; and means of communicating student(s) learning;
- Mandates and Policy: understanding federal and state policies and reforms; The Board subcommittee will receive and consider input from the District Student Achievement advisory committee.
Facilities Subcommittee: John Boucher, Ed Reder, Beth Staropoli. The Board of Education recognizes that sound planning based on accurate information is essential to the provision of suitable educational facilities. Working cooperatively with the Superintendent or designee, the subcommittee meets regularly to
- Monitor building conditions and facility maintenance;
- Monitor the progress of capital projects;
- Review strategies for the best use of district facilities;
- Monitor buildings and overall programs.
The Board subcommittee will receive and consider input from the District Budget advisory committee.Finance Subcommittee - John Boucher, Ed Reder, Beth Staropoli. The mission of the Finance Committee is to enhance public confidence in the District’s ability to effectively handle its financial affairs by communicating the results of its work to the School Board, and by educating the public regarding the financial position and outlook for the District. The Board of Education Finance Subcommittee consists of three Board members, chaired by one member. Working cooperatively with the Superintendent or designee, the subcommittee meets regularly to provide oversight of the District’s financial interests and operations. The Finance Committee reviews and makes recommendations to the Board regarding the existing and projected revenues and expenditures, and suggests measures to overcome potential budget constraints and improve the fiscal health of the District. Such recommendations are made to ensure the District is maximizing its revenues, is using its resources optimally, and is able to sustain effective operations on a long-term basis. The Board subcommittee will receive and consider input from the District Budget advisory committee.Policy Subcommittee - Michael Bauscher, Beth Staropoli, Alexandra White. In order to help it function more effectively and efficiently, the Board of Education of the Bedford Central School District has created a Policy Subcommittee. The Policy Subcommittee consists of three Board members, chaired by one member. Working cooperatively with the Superintendent, the subcommittee meets regularly to review, evaluate, revise and create district policy and regulation. When the need for a new or revised policy is recognized, the subcommittee meets with appropriate District staff and/or external resources to develop a draft policy or to revise an existing policy. Proposed policies are presented to the Board for discussion and action. Two readings of a policy at two separate Board meetings are required before approval, with ample time for comment. Proposed policies may be adopted by the Board of Education, as initially proposed or amended, or rejected.Liaisons:Anti-Racism Committee Liaison: Michael Bauscher and Alexandra WhiteBOCES Liaison: Alexandra WhiteBudget Advisory Committee Liaison: John Boucher, Colette Dow, and a third Board member on a rotational scheduleConstruction Committee Liaison: Ed RederHealth Committee Liaison: Beth StaropoliLocal Community Legislative Advocacy: Colette DowParent Presidents Liaison: All Board members on a rotational scheduleSafety Committee Liaison: Jessica CambareriStudent Achievement Advisory Committee Liaison: Jessica Cambareri, Beth Staropoli and Alexndra WhiteTingley Committee Liaison: John Boucher
WPSBA Delegate and Legislative Contact: Michael Bauscher and Ed Reder