- District Site
Candidates for the Board of Education
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: THE DISTRICT CLERK'S OFFICE WILL BE TEMPORARILY RELOCATED TO THE FOX LANE MIDDLE SCHOOL ON MONDAY, APRIL 22. ALL NOMINATING PETITIONS WILL NEED TO BE PERSONALLY DELIVERED TO THE DISTRICT CLERK IN THE FLMS FRONT OFFICE DURING THIS TIME.
Board of Education Candidate Information
Welcome to the section of the website dedicated to those individuals seeking to serve on the Board of Education. Please read this information carefully to learn about the process for running for school board, including the paperwork requirements and filing deadlines.
Individuals interested in running for the Board of Education are required to submit completed nominating petitions and notarized expenditure and contribution statements. These forms are accessible below.
All candidates must have the following qualifications:
- Be able to read and write
- Be a qualified voter of this district (which means a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age, and not adjudged to be an incompetent)
- Be and have been a resident of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year prior to the election (see below definition)
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family
- May not be a current employee of the school board (when the term of office begins)
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office
Please note that nominating Petitions are due no later than 5 pm thirty days before the vote which usually is a Sunday. As such, petitions are due by the subsequent day on Monday. This year, the due date is Monday, April 22, 2019, by 5 pm. Each set of petitions must be directed to the Clerk of the School District; must be signed by two percent of the voters (46) who voted in the previous election (46 which represents 2% of 2321); must state the residence of each signer; must be filed in the Office of the District Clerk in the Administration Building, Fox Lane Campus, Route 172, Bedford, New York, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on or before the deadline; must state the name and residence of the candidate; and must include the length of the term of office.
The School Board election is for at-large seats. This year, there are three open Board seats; the three top vote-getters will be elected to the Board of Education.
For more information on running for the Board of Education, please click here.